title banner

Handsworth Old Town Hall

Handsworth Old Town HallHandsworth Old Town Hall interior

Handsworth Old Town Hall is a Grade 2 listed cruck building dating from about 1460. It was brick-infilled in 1625 and was originally part of a group of small multi-occupied buildings/barns which were demolished in the 1930s. It was converted from three dwellings to two in 1946, and our half was occupied until 1973. A Council tenant still lives in the other half.

Its name probably comes from being ‘the Hall at Towne End’ and until the 19th century it served the sparsely-populated surrounding area as the HQ for the law, as it was the Constable’s, or Court House. As Handsworth was part of Staffordshire until 1911, it was also used for local administration purposes but was mainly the residence and office of the Overseer of the Parish.

Half the building is now run by a small group of volunteers as a community museum about the history of old Handsworth.


pictured: interior view

Detailed Information


20 Slack Lane,
B20 2JL.

Contact Person(s): (Handsworth Historical Society)
Paulette Burkill Tel: 0121 747 5266



  • Free.

Opening Hours and Events

  • For Monthly Saturday Coffee Mornings and other events:-
  • Please check our website for up to date details.

  • We welcome individual or group visits by arrangement.


  • Maps, photographs, paintings and displays of local and regional interest. Also, small collection of archive and reference material.


  • Light refreshments

Disabled Visitors

  • Wheelchair access via low step at front and back door. Ground floor WC. Ramp access to rear garden. No upstairs access for wheelchairs.

How to get there:

  • Close to 11A and 11C and 101 bus routes, at island joining Church Lane/Grove Lane/College Road/Oxhill Road.


  • On street nearby.

Average Length of Visit

  • At least 1 hour.

Other heritage attractions nearby: