title banner

Holy Trinity Parish Church

Holy Trinity Church SCThe ancient parish church of Sutton Coldfield, Holy Trinity, is first recorded in the 13th century.

It has had many alterations over the centuries. A tower was added and the nave extended westwards in the 15th century, and around the same time new north and south aisles were added. Extensions to the north and south aisles were made by Bishop Vesey, the town's benefactor, in 1533. Galleries were added and, in some cases taken away again (two remain). The nave roof was raised in 1863 and a new north aisle added in 1879. In 2016 the church underwent an extensive re-ordering which improved access and facilities, but kept the key features of the building intact.Bishop Vesey memorial

Current points of interest for the visitor to Holy Trinity Church include the painted ceilings (Bateman, early 20th century), Bishop Vesey's tomb, unique woodwork originally from Worcester Cathedral and various stained glass windows.

The magnificent Bateman painted ceiling.

Please visit the church website for extensive information about the history of Holy Trinity and images of the building and its contents. There is also a timeline of events over the centuries and interactive floorplans covering the changes seen from the 13th century to the present day. The church is open by arrangement for viewing - see below or on the church website for details.


pictured: the Bishop Vesey Memorial, and the magnificent painted ceiling

Detailed Information


Church Hill,

Mill Street,

Sutton Coldfield,

B72 1TF

Tel 0121 321 1144 (office hours)

Email: admin@htsc.org.uk

Church Website

facebook logotwitter logo

Admissionnew entrance 2021

  • Free
  • (pic - current entrance)

Opening Hours

  • The church holds an annual Heritage Open Day in September. It is now open on an ad hoc basis in the week (office hours) with stewards admitting visitors from the Trinity Centre opposite. Please contact us in advance of a proposed visit to avoid disappointment on: 0121 321 1144 or admin@htsc.org.uk  Group bookings / tours should be arranged through heritage@htsc.org.uk


  • Good toilets in church including babychange facilities. Free WiFi. Tea/coffee usually available for visitors. You are welcome to breastfeed - please ask a steward if you'd like to be shown to a quiet area.


    • Main Sunday service 10am, always sung, usually Holy Communion with children's groups.

    • 8am every Sunday - said Communion

    • Occasional Sunday and weekday evening services.

    • Thursdays - said Communion at 10.30am.

    • Check the website calendar for variations to this pattern.

Disabled Visitors

  • Most of the church is now accessible (and nearly all is visible) for wheelchair users, with level entry from the car park to inside the main church. The church has toilet facilities for those with a disability.  The website now has an accessibility guide available from the "0ur church" and "Heritage" pages of the website.  Photos and films are on the heritage pages to show the inaccessible parts of the church, notably the north and south galleries and a tour up the church tower.

How to get there:

  • Situated at the top of the hill in Sutton, at the junction of Coleshill Street, Mill Street and High Street.  Car park access from Church Hill (off Mill St).  Alternative parking in Town centre nearby.  Bus stop on Mill Street at foot of Vesey Gardens below the church and next to Church Hill.  5-10 minutes walk from Sutton Coldfield Railway Station.


  • Cars: Limited spaces